We have family in the south; South USA, and South Germany. These biscuits are modeled after the South Carolina version as to resolve any confusion. Though no one will beat Aunt Perlines make.
Ingredients: (Makes about 8 nicely sized biscuits)
2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
6 T. Butter
1 tsp. sugar
1 Cups COLD Milk
(Could also use some buttermilk)
Half a MouCo ColoRouge
1 tsp. yogurt
- Preheat oven to 475 adjust one rack to the center.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together
- Combine milk, yogurt and melted butter and stir until the butter forms small lumps on the top of the milk.
- Cut the ColoRouge into small pieces.
- Using a rubber spatula mix dry & wet ingredients with the cheese in a bowl until combined.
- Pull out half cup pieces of the dough and place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Be careful not to overwork the dough or compress it when handling, any roughness here will result in a loss of the cool flaky texture.
Bake in the over until it looks like this ---->
(about 12 minutes)
These also go great as a bread for stews and soups.
Try making a little garlic butter to replace some of the butter in the recipe...careful not to completely wipe out the ColoRouge flavor and complexities...but a little is good!
Special thanks @brayfus for inspiring this recipe with her's.
Please check out her original post here: http://bit.ly/bR3BOM